Archive for October, 2010

New Charge Filed in Death of Concord, NC Police Chief’s Daughter

October 31, 2010

From www.wcnc.com

By Meghan Cooke | Charlotte Observer

 CHARLOTTE, N.C.– Police have filed a new charge against the man arrested in connection with the death of the daughter of Concord’s police chief.

Michael Neal Harvey, 34, who is charged with murder in the death of Valerie Hamilton, now also faces a felony charge of concealing a death, according to arrest records.

Hamilton, 23, disappeared early Sept. 15. Her body was found days later in a storage unit off Monroe Road in Charlotte. Medical examiners found no signs of physical trauma in Hamilton’s death. Investigators said they found evidence of drug use in the case, but they won’t say by whom or what kinds of drugs may have been involved.

Harvey is being held without bond and will appear Monday in Gaston County Superior Court on unrelated charges, including breaking and entering a vehicle and larceny. He was transferred to the Gaston County Jail on Friday. Police arrested Harvey in Niagara Falls, N.Y. last month, and he has denied killing Hamilton.

Advertisements

Cleveland County, NC Deputies Release Details in Shooting Death

October 29, 2010
From The Shelby Star
Olivia Neeley

KINGS MOUNTAIN — A man shot in the back during a shootout on a secluded road died Thursday morning, authorities said.

Three others were shot in a drug deal that went wrong, according to the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office.  

Investigators haven’t arrested anyone in the shootings yet.

The case, they say, is a unique one.

Detectives plan to discuss a possible murder charge with the district attorney’s office.

“Our investigation leads us to believe they (the four shot) were all involved in criminal activity,” said sheriff’s office Lt. Jon Wright. “And unfortunately, some serious violence resulted from that criminal activity.”

Lloyd Quenshawn Byers, 25, died at Cleveland Regional Medical Center less than a day after he was shot. Joram Ozias Young, 26, of Pearce Drive, and O’ryan Gaston, 27, of Charlotte were shot in the leg.

Mandrell Hunt, 25, of Oak Grove Road, was shot in the face and was later transported to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, detectives said. 

Gunfire erupted late Wednesday in the roadway on Pearce Court, off Margrace Road. Detectives say the people involved arranged to meet for a marijuana deal, but a disagreement ensued and shots were fired from both sides. 

Wright said Byers faced charges of discharging a firearm into occupied dwelling and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

‘It was devastating’

Byers’ family said his death is a tragic loss and they don’t believe it was drug related.

“When I heard my baby got shot, my heart fell to the floor,” said Byers’ mother, Carolyn Morgan. “I couldn’t believe it.”

Morgan said she talked to her son a week ago. Byers told her he thought he had found a job.

“He told me he loved me and gave me a hug and kiss,” she said. “I told him to be careful.”

 “This thing happened so fast,” she said. “It’s still unbelievable right now.”

Haven for violence

In 2003, Jeffrey Todd Rogers, of Kings Mountain, was killed on that same secluded road.

Detectives say that area has a history of shootings and drug related cases.

“It’s high-incident area,” Wright said. “It’s a place we are constantly aware of and (has) ongoing chronic problems.”

Family members are asking for help with funeral expenses. Contact Genesis Funeral Home.

North Carolina Governor Promotes Deputy to Commander of State Highway Patrol

October 29, 2010

26 Year Patrol Veteran Must Restore Public’s Confidence in Agency Beset With incidents of Trooper Misconduct

From http://www.wsoctv.com

RALEIGH, N.C. — Gov. Beverly Perdue is promoting the North Carolina Highway Patrol’s deputy commander to the top job at the beleaguered law enforcement agency.

Perdue said Friday she is replacing former patrol commander Col. Randy Glover with Lt. Colonel Michael Gilchrist.

Glover stepped down in August after only a year on the job. The 1,800-member patrol has been beset by continued reports of trooper misconduct. Troopers have resigned or been fired for problems ranging from drunken driving arrests to sending inappropriate text messages.

A panel appointed by Perdue recommended that she stick with current promotion rules that make it very difficult for an outsider to run the agency.

Gilchrist is a Plymouth native who has served on the patrol since 1986.

Fayetteville, NC Burglars Leave Notes In Home Thanking Victims For Loot

October 29, 2010

From http://www.wsoctv.com

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Two suspects face multiple charges after North Carolina police said they left a note thanking the homeowners for the $5,000 worth of electronics gear and food they stole.

 Fayetteville police spokesman Dan Grubb said Friday the pair left one note on a white paper napkin saying simply, “Thanks.” Grubb said a second message etched into a wall Wednesday morning said the same thing, and added: “We love the stuff we got.”

 Police have charged Dajuan Marquis Avant and Darrell Sturdivant Jr. with breaking and entering, larceny, and other charges.

 Both 19-year-olds are from Fayetteville. It was not known if either had an attorney.

 The homeowners told The Fayetteville Observer the stolen loot included a box of corn dogs, frozen chicken and beer.

Wrongfully Convicted Man Sues City of Goldsboro, NC, Current & Former Police Officers

October 29, 2010

Man claims his defense attorneys asked to have evidence tested for DNA in 1995, but were told it had been destroyed when it was actually in custody of the Goldsboro Police Dept.

From http://www.wsoctv.com

GOLDSBORO, N.C. — A man who spent half his life in prison for a rape he didn’t commit is suing a North Carolina city and its police, alleging negligence that kept him locked up for more than 18 years.

 Dwayne Dail’s federal lawsuit names Goldsboro, three current and former police chiefs, and several officers who worked on the case that led to his false imprisonment.

 Dail was convicted in 1987 of raping a 12-year-old girl. DNA evidence cleared him of the crime in 2007. Another man was convicted in April and sentenced to life in prison.

 Dail’s lawsuit contends attorneys asked in 1995 that evidence in the rape case be DNA tested. Dail’s attorney was told the evidence had been destroyed. Instead, it had been stored by Goldsboro police.

Friends Fear Charlotte, NC Bar Owner’s Shooting May Be Tied To Previous Incident

October 29, 2010

From http://www.wsoctv.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Friends and family members are searching for answers after a west Charlotte lounge owner was shot to death inside his business.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said a truck driver making a beer delivery found 68-year-old Roosevelt Hinton unresponsive inside the Get-A-Way Lounge on Wilkinson Boulevard at about 2 p.m.

The driver told police that before he went inside the bar, he saw a man walk out of the business, get into a black coupe and head toward Gastonia on Wilkinson. The driver said he then went inside and found Hinton.

In January, police were also called to a shooting at the Get-A-Way Lounge. Officers said in that case, two men were kicked out of the bar and later returned. One of them started shooting, hitting a customer and an employee.

Police said Hinton pulled his own gun and critically wounded one of the men. Hinton was not charged, as police determined that he fired in self-defense.

Some people who knew Hinton wondered if Thursday’s shooting was connected to the incident in January.

“Might have been something from the fight in the past,” said Mark Brown, who owns a business nearby. “Somebody come back and shot him because of it.”

Capt. Coert Voorhies said investigators aren’t ruling anything out in the case.

“We look into everything when we’re investigating these things,” he said. “It’s very unusual to have a call out here during the day.”

DeDe Craig-Orange said Hinton was like a father to her and many others in the community. Despite her grief, she had a message for the person who took his life.

“Turn yourself in, because this is a senseless murder and you didn’t have to do that,” Craig-Orange said.

Hinton leaves behind a wife and three children.

Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Washington, DC-Area Gunman May Have Grievance Against Marines

October 29, 2010

By BRETT ZONGKER
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) – A gunman who fired shots at a Washington-area Marine Corps museum and is believed to be responsible for three similar incidents may have a grievance against the U.S. Marine Corps, the FBI said Friday.

John Perren, the acting assistant director for the FBI’s Washington field office, said during a press conference that investigators believe the person takes issue with the institution of the Marines, but not those serving in uniform. Perren said the person has gone to lengths to make sure no one has been hurt, and authorities don’t believe he wants to harm citizens or Marines.

Investigators want to talk to the person and find out how to resolve that grievance, Perren said. He said the suspect may be dealing with a traumatic event such as loss of a job, financial problems or divorce.

Perren urged anyone who may have information about the suspect to contact authorities and urged people to quickly report gunfire or suspicious activity.

Someone fired shots at the museum in Triangle, Va., between 9 p.m. Thursday and 6 a.m. Friday. Authorities said that they don’t know exactly what time the shooting happened, but that it appears someone fired from the side of the building facing Interstate 95.

It is the second time in less than two weeks someone has shot at the museum. Someone also recently shot at the Pentagon and a military recruiting center.

The FBI has said the first three shootings are connected, and investigators say they assume the fourth is connected as well.

Missouri Man Charged With Shooting 4 People, Killing 3

October 29, 2010

By CHRIS BLANK and DAVID A. LIEB
Associated Press

FULTON, Mo. (AP) – A Missouri man was charged with murder Friday after a series of fatal shootings that led police to warn people who knew him to flee the area.

Joshua William Maylee, 23, was captured Thursday, ending a massive manhunt that unnerved residents and led to tighter security at schools and a hospital.

Maylee is accused of fatally shooting Eugene Allen Pinet, 48, and his 57-year-old wife, Jackie, at their home in central Missouri late Tuesday night. He also is charged with killing Jeffrey Werdehausen, 46, and wounding his wife Gina, 41, in a shooting at their home, also located in the Holts Summit area.

Maylee faces three counts of first-degree murder and one count of first-degree assault.

Sgt. Robert Bruchsaler, of the Mid-Missouri Major Case Squad, told reporters Friday that he did not know if Maylee had retained an attorney. Bruchsaler said Maylee had not requested a lawyer while being interviewed by investigators.

Bruchsaler said that Maylee was being held without bond on the murder charges and was to be arraigned Friday afternoon.

In a probable cause statement filed Friday, police described Maylee as an associate of Jeff Werdehausen and Eugene Allen Pinet. Gina Werdehausen – who was hospitalized after being shot in the neck – told police she and her husband “had a number of problems with Maylee and that lately threats had been made,” according to the probable cause statement.

Court documents obtained Thursday by The Associated Press indicated Maylee had stolen a lawn mower in October 2009 and taken it to Pinet’s home.

Police said in Friday’s probable cause statement that shell casings recovered at the two shooting scenes matched those found at a home where Maylee had been living with a girlfriend and had come from the same type of assault rifle and handgun that Maylee was known to own.

Bruchsaler said family members found the Pinets’ bodies just as law officers investigating the shooting of the Werdehausens arrived to check on them because they had had past dealings with Maylee.

“Our investigators were following up leads and going and checking on people that we knew could possibly have been involved in this, and there it was,” Bruchsaler.

Investigators believe that Maylee acted alone.

Bruchsaler said they had interviewed Maylee but declined to discuss the details of the conversation. He said they had a “very good idea” about the location of a car and weapons that they had been seeking, but did not elaborate.

In addition to the murder charges, Maylee is also facing two felony theft charges – one of which was filed after the shooting victims were found early Wednesday morning. According to a police probable cause statement in that case, Maylee stole a lawn mower from a home in Kingdom City on Oct. 15, 2009. He told police in a July 20 interview that he put the lawn mower in an enclosed trailer and took it to Pinet’s home. It is not clear from court documents whether Pinet knew the mower was stolen.

Maylee also was charged with theft on Oct. 4 for allegedly stealing a tractor from a Holts Summit resident on March 24, 2009. A police probable cause statement says Maylee “confessed to stealing the tractor” and told police he kept it at his house for several weeks before taking it to Ashland, Mo., where it sold for $2,500.

Maylee’s grandfather told police that Maylee had gone to Columbia earlier on the day of the shootings to meet with an attorney, who was not identified in the police probable cause statement. William Maylee said his grandson also had been at his home, and left about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in the grandfather’s car, the court documents said. The grandfather had expected Maylee to return the car the next day, but he never did.

Maylee was captured Thursday in Cooper County, a few dozen miles west of where the shootings occurred.

Police Chief: McDonald’s Manager in on Deadly Heist Plan

October 29, 2010
The Associated Press

BATESBURG-LEESVILLE — 

Authorities say the manager of a Batesburg-Leesville McDonald’s was in on a plan to rob the restaurant that ended in the shooting death of an employee.

Batesburg-Leesville Police Chief Wallace Oswald told multiple media outlets that his officers are looking for Roderquiz Cooke.

Three other suspects, including Cooke’s wife, are charged with murder in the case.

Investigators say 57-year-old Willie Jennings was in the parking lot of the restaurant taking out the trash two weeks ago when he was shot and killed.

Teen Faces Murder Charge in Rock Hill, SC Shooting

October 29, 2010

Police say youth robbed and shot man

From The Rock Hill Herald

By Kimberly Dick

Rock Hill Police have charged one of the teenage suspects in a haunted trail shooting earlier this month with murder in a shooting three days later.

Brandon Alexander Davis, 16, of Rock Hill was arrested on murder and attempted murder, kidnapping, armed robbery and three weapons charges Thursday for the Oct. 19 shooting and robbery of 23-year-old Anthony Whitlock, said Rock Hill Police Lt. Brad Redfearn.

davis Brandon Davis.
 Provided by York County Sheriff’s Office.

Davis is being charged as an adult, he said.

Davis appeared in Rock Hill Municipal Court on Thursday afternoon with his attorney, Columbia-based Deon O’Neil. Because he is charged with murder, a municipal court judge could not set bond for Davis. He will be held in jail until he appears before a circuit court judge for a bond hearing.

He was ordered not to have contact with the surviving victim, or the victims’ families.

Davis was arrested Sunday on charges of attempted murder, conspiracy, armed robbery and weapons violations, related to the Oct. 16 shooting and robbery at a haunted trail southeast of Rock Hill. He was also charged as an adult in that incident.

Three other Rock Hill teens face charges in the haunted trail shooting: Timas Albres Nelson and Kwamane Ladre King, both 17 were arrested earlier this week. Officers are still looking for Ladarrian Jaquele “Sleep” Fewell, 17.

Davis had been in custody since his arrest earlier this week, Redfearn said.

The murder charges stem from an Oct. 19 afternoon robbery and shooting inside a car. Whitlock, a passenger in that car, died at Piedmont Medical Center.

Anthony Whitlock had asked his uncle, Thomas Whitlock Jr., 42, to give him a ride. Police said Anthony Whitlock was shot in the head by a passenger they picked up at Friedheim Park. They had driven near the intersection of Baker Street and Orr Drive, where the shooting took place.

Thomas Whitlock, who was shot in the shoulder three times, has been released from the hospital after several days in intensive care.

“I’m in tremendous pain. I’m having nightmares. I can’t sleep,” Thomas Whitlock said after the bond hearing. “My family’s in tremendous pain. It’s not just me getting shot, it’s losing my nephew as well. It’s taken a huge toll on our family.”

Thomas Whitlock said he is relieved that Davis has been charged, but he’s still afraid all the time.

The suspect in the Whitlock shooting fled with an unknown amount of cash and drugs, according to arrest warrants. Thomas Whitlock then drove to the hospital. The vehicle was parked in front of the emergency room when officials arrived.

O’Neil said Davis was a sophomore at South Pointe High School and has a strong support system.

Rock Hill Police are still investigating the fatal shooting.

During the incident at the “Trail of Terror,” about $1,500 was stolen and James “Doug” Rockholt, 56, was shot in the shoulder. Another employee at the trail off S.C. 901 told police he was fired at before chasing the intruder. More than 20 people who were in line at the time scattered.