Archive for October, 2009

Mint Hill, NC Drug Seizure

October 29, 2009

Mint Hill Police Department

P.O. Box 690940

7200 Matthews-Mint Hill Road

Mint Hill, North Carolina 28227

(704) 545-1085 Office

(704) 545-7133 Fax

Press Release: Drug Seizure in Mint Hill

Mint Hill: On 10-28-2009 Mint Hill Police served a search warrant in the 11100 block of Lawyers Road in reference to the occupant, Michael MacConnell, manufacturing marijuana at the residence.  Officers entered the residence around 1:30pm and found over 300 marijuana plants and an elaborate indoor growing operation.

In addition to the marijuana manufacturing, officers located several chemicals which are known precursors to manufacturing other controlled substances.  Mint Hill Police enlisted the help of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) in processing the evidence.  A chemist from the SBI is en route to assist with identifying the chemicals found on scene.

Michael MacConnell (W/M, DOB: 01-13-1969) has been taken to the Mecklenburg County Jail and charged with the following crimes:

Manufacture of a CS Schedule VI

Possession of a precursor chemical to controlled substance

Trafficking Schedule VI

Maintain a dwelling for sale of controlled substance

Possession of drug paraphernalia

**STAGING AREA FOR MEDIA IS GOING TO BE AT THE 11200 BLOCK OF LAWYERS ROAD AT THE MINT HILL PLAZA SHOPPING CENTER**

Advertisements

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Announce Indecent Exposure Arrest

October 28, 2009

From www.crimeincharlotte.com

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Youth and Family Services Detectives have arrested Raul Gabriel (DOB-07/27/68) on felony indecent exposure charges. On Wednesday, October 14, 2009, between 2:30 and 2:45 p.m. there were two reported incidents involving a similar suspect and suspect vehicle in the Mountainbrook Community off of Sharon View Road.

In both incidents, high school aged girls reported that a man pulled up to them in a white minivan and asked a question. While the girls answered the question, the suspect exposed himself to them. The victims were able to walk away without further contact with the suspect.

 Warrants were obtained on Mr. Gabriel and he was arrested October 27, 2009 at Police Headquarters without incident.

The CMPD would like to thank the community for their cooperation in to help bring these cases to a resolution.

Anyone with additional information regarding these cases can call Youth and Family Services Detective Donald Simmons at 704-336-2781.

Rob Tufano

CMPD Public Affairs Coordinator

Fugitive arrested after child seeks help

October 26, 2009
By Sadia Latifi
sadia.latifi@newsobserver.com
Posted: Monday, Oct. 26, 2009
Man with outstanding arrest warrants from Charlotte now accused of taking boy, mother.

DURHAM  – A fugitive from Charlotte police was arrested Saturday night after a child ran into a gas station to ask for help, saying he had been kidnapped.

Samuel Moses McCrae III, 21, was charged with two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon and one count each of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, inflicting serious injury, carrying a concealed weapon, felony possession of a controlled substance and resisting a public officer, according to arrest warrants. Some charges come from outstanding warrants in Charlotte, Durham police said.

McCrae was arrested at a BP station just before 8 p.m. Saturday. Police said a child had approached a customer and said he and his mother were kidnapped in Charlotte, and that the man holding them hostage was in a car in the parking lot.

The customer called police, and McCrae was arrested at the scene.

Charlotte police may levy additional charges, including kidnapping, according to Durham police. If charged with kidnapping, McCrae would be transferred to the Mecklenburg County Jail, police said.

A Charlotte-Mecklenburg police official said Sunday night said they were not aware of the arrest, but would investigate further.

McCrae was released on parole from Durham County Jail in July after an almost two-year term for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and several drug offenses. The outstanding Charlotte warrants were issued after his release, police said.

McCrae was held in the Durham jail over the weekend under a $550,000 secured bond. He faces a judge this morning.

1 shot in string of robberies

October 26, 2009
By Steve Lyttle
slyttle@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Monday, Oct. 26, 2009

A pizza restaurant employee was shot and seriously wounded overnight in one of a series of robberies in north, northwest and west Charlotte, police report.

It is unclear how many — if any — of the robberies are related.

 

Map data ©2009 Google – Terms of Use
Map
Satellite
Hybrid

3800 Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd., Charlotte, NC 28216

But a couple common themes surfaced in victims’ descriptions of the men responsible for the robberies. In several cases, police say, victims report they were robbed by black males wearing all-black clothing. And a pair of robbers was responsible in at least two cases, according to reports.

The shooting happened shortly after 1 a.m., outside the Pizza Hut in the 3500 block of Mount Holly-Huntersville Road, in northwest Charlotte, police said. That is in the Mountain Island Market Place center.

They say two men robbed the place, and during the crime, an employee was shot in the arm. The bullet passed through the employee’s arm and into his chest, police say. The injured worker was taken to Carolinas Medical Center.

The two gunmen ran off after the incident. Police called in their K-9 dog search unit but failed to make any arrests.

About a half-hour earlier, police say, a lone gunman robbed the Wendy’s restaurant in the 1100 block of West Sugar Creek Road, near Interstate 85. According to reports, the gunman — a black male, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, black ski mask and black gloves — broke in the drive-through window during the robbery.

The gunman fled in a two-door burgundy Ford Explorer that was occupied by three other men, police say.

Another near-robbery happened about 1:50 a.m. at the Freedom Business Center, in the 3100 block of Freedom Drive. According to police reports, two gunmen tried to rob the place but were not able to get anything of value. They ran off, police say.

Anyone with information in the cases is asked to call Crime Stoppers, 703-334-1600

Man pleads guilty to DWI in motorized La-Z-Boy

October 26, 2009

From the Associated Press via YAHOO! News

Thu Oct 22, 4:36 pm ET

DULUTH, Minn. – A Minnesota man has pleaded guilty to driving his motorized La-Z-Boy chair while drunk.

A criminal complaint says 62-year-old Dennis LeRoy Anderson told police he left a bar in the northern Minnesota town of Proctor on his chair after drinking eight or nine beers.

A motorized La-Z-Boy chair driven by Dennis Anderson of Proctor was operating 

AP – A motorized La-Z-Boy chair driven by Dennis Anderson of Proctor was operating when he hit a parked vehicle …

Prosecutors say Anderson’s blood alcohol content was 0.29, more than three times the legal limit, when he crashed into a parked vehicle in August 2008. He was not seriously injured.

Police said the chair was powered by a converted lawnmower and had a stereo and cup holders.

Sixth Judicial District Judge Heather Sweetland stayed 180 days of jail time Monday and ordered two years of probation for Anderson. His attorney, David Keegan, did not immediately return a call for comment.

___

Information from: Duluth News Tribune, http://www.duluthsuperior.com

Drug raids targeting Mexican cartel nab 300-plus

October 22, 2009
Washington, DC, 10.22.2009

DEVLIN BARRETT

In the largest single strike at Mexican drug operations in the U.S., federal officials on Thursday announced the arrests of more than 300 people in raids across the country aimed at the newest and most violent cartel.

La Familia has earned a reputation for dominating the methamphetamine trade and displaying graphic violence, including beheadings. U.S. officials said the cartel has a vast network pumping drugs throughout the United States, specializing in methamphetamine.

Attorney General Eric Holder pledged to keep hitting La Familia and the cartels responsible for a wave of bloodshed in Mexico. He said the U.S. would attack them at all levels, from the leadership to their supply chains reaching far into the United States.

“To the extent that they do grow back, we have to work with our Mexican counterparts to cut off the heads of these snakes, to get at the heads of the cartels, indict them, try them, if they’re in Mexico, extradite them to the United States,” Holder said at a news conference.

La Familia is based in the state of Michoacan, in southwestern Mexico.

The Obama administration has directed more agents, resources and money to fight the cartel’s presence along the Mexico-U.S. border. But the arrests over the past two days occurred far beyond that region.

“The problem is not just along the southwest border, it is all over our country now,” said Kenneth Melson, head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

In Dallas, 77 people were charged by a number of different federal and local law enforcement agencies.

On Wednesday and Thursday, more than 3,000 federal agents and police officers carried out arrests in more than a dozen states, as part of a long-running effort that has netted nearly 1,200 arrests over almost four years.

The suspects face a combination of federal and state charges.

In the latest legal assault on La Familia, a New York grand jury has indicted an alleged cartel leader, Servando Gomez-Martinez. He is linked to one of the more brazen acts of cartel violence.

In July, after a dozen Mexican police officers were found murdered, officials say Gomez-Martinez publicly proclaimed his membership in La Familia and said the cartel was locked in a battle with Mexican police.

Many of the new charges are centered on the cartel’s methamphetamine distribution, but other charges involve cocaine and marijuana, the officials said.

The officials said states where arrests were made or charges filed include California, Colorado, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington state.

On the Net:

Justice Department: http://www.usdoj.gov/

Drug Enforcement Administration: http://www.dea.gov

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives: http://www.atf.gov/

Police: SC teen had 2 knives before he was killed

October 20, 2009
The Associated Press
Posted: Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2009

CONWAY, S.C. A police report says a teenfatally shot by an officer at his South Carolina high school had two knives when he attacked the officer.

A report released Monday by Horry County Police said Lance Cpl. Marcus Rhodes was able to take one of the knives from the 16-year-old boy, but the student still had the second knife after Rhodes shot him as school started Thursday.

The report says Rhodes had several puncture marks on the back of his uniform shirt. He was treated and released from the hospital.

Authorities say Trevor Varinecz asked to talk to Rhodes at Carolina Forest High School, then attacked him after the two went into an office.

The coroner says Varinecz was shot five times, the fatal wound to the chest.

Rhodes is on medical leave

Police: Man crashes into home during chase

October 20, 2009
WCNC.com
Posted: Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2009

A man was arrested after he crashed a car into a home during a chase early this morning, Monroe police say.

Officers say it started around midnight with a checkpoint set up by the Union County Sheriff’s Office near the Anson County line. They say Brian Hancock, 25, ran that checkpoint and led deputies on a chase into Monroe.

Hancock crashed his car into a home on North Secrest Avenue and ran away, police say. A mother and son inside were not hurt, but the home was knocked off its foundation. The two stayed in a hotel the rest of the night.

Police say they later found Hancock hiding in a friend’s home on Redwine Street a short distance away from the crash scene. Hancock said he ran the checkpoint because of multiple warrants out for his arrest, officers say.

Hancock has been charged with injury to real property and felony speeding to elude arrest, among other charges

2 deputies hurt after cars rammed during burglary

October 19, 2009

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 10:33 AM EDT

Updated: Oct 19, 2009 6:08 PM EDT

Video Gallery

Christopher Maloney (left) and Timothy Akers (right) are being held in the Caldwell Co. Jail. Christopher Maloney (left) and Timothy Akers (right) are being held in the Caldwell Co. Jail.

 

GRANITE FALLS, NC (WBTV) – Two burglars allegedly rammed two deputies’ patrol cars and attempted to run over one of the officers early Saturday morning.

A resident who heard loud banging noises coming from the water plant called the sheriff’s office after seeing a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot.

Deputies Isaac Pennell and Marvin Coleman arrived around 2:11 a.m. and spotted an older model Ford pickup truck.

 The pickup immediately sped toward the two deputies and rammed both patrol cars.

One of the deputies got out of his car and the suspects came toward him with the truck.

“It headed back towards the first officer who was now out of the car,” said Captain Mike Longo.  “That officer was prepared to shoot in defense of his life, and just before the vehicle got to him one of our officers was able to take his patrol car and ram him over the embankment.”

The suspect’s truck went over an embankment and flipped over trapping the passenger inside.   The driver was pinned in and had to be rescued by emergency workers.

Deputy Coleman’s car also went down the embankment.  Coleman fired his gun from inside the car through the windshield in order to break it so that he could get out of the car.

Deputies found a stolen safe and burglary tools inside the pickup truck. They said the safe was reported stolen from a business in Conover. 

Deputies charged Timothy Akers of Valdese with three of counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, one count of safe cracking and one count of resisting a public officer.  Akers is being held on a $150,000.00 secured bond.

Christopher Maloney of Morganton was charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and one count of safe cracking.  He received a $100,000.00 secured bond.

More charges are expected to be filed against Akers and Maloney.

Both deputies were treated and released at Caldwell Memorial Hospital.

NC to Release 20 Longtime Inmates

October 15, 2009
From the Associated Press via WBT News
Raleigh, NC, 10.15.2009

MIKE BAKER

North Carolina plans to release 20 longtime inmates after state courts agreed that a decades-old law defined life sentences as only 80 years long, officials said Thursday, and dozens more violent criminals could be eligible for release in coming months.

Each of the inmates, including seven who were initially sentenced to death, have been denied parole multiple times, according to the state.

Gov. Beverly Perdue is talking with state attorneys to see if there are options to prevent the release.

“I’m appalled that the state of North Carolina is being forced to release prisoners who have committed the most heinous of crimes, without any review of their cases,” Perdue said in a statement. “I don’t believe the General Assembly’s intent in 1974 was to let these violent offenders out of prison early. Releasing these potentially dangerous criminals is not in the best interest of the state or our citizens.”

One inmate, Bobby Bowden, had argued that a law adopted in 1974 clearly defined life sentences as 80 years. The convicted murder believed that the statute, combined with good conduct credits, means his life sentence is now complete.

The Court of Appeals sided with Bowden last year. North Carolina’s Supreme Court rejected an appeal from the state earlier this month after a lawyer from the attorney general’s office had argued that the 80 years likely was supposed to determine when somebody would be eligible for parole.

Justices on the high court balked at that argument, and an attorney for Bowden called it “legal gymnastics.” The statute, which was in place for several years in the 1970s, says: “A sentence of life imprisonment shall be considered as a sentence of imprisonment for a term of 80 years in the state’s prison.”

Thomas Bennett, executive director of the North Carolina Victim Assistance Network, said the plan to release the prisoners is dangerous.

“This is terrible. This is a disaster,” he said. “This is another example of victims not receiving consideration in the way the system works.”

Bowden was convicted in 1975 and initially sentenced to death. The Supreme Court later took him off death row, sending the case back for Bowden to get concurrent life sentences. He has been denied parole every year since 1987.

Corrections officials have worried that the case could eventually affect some 120 inmates sentenced when the law was in place.