Instead, an Army investigation found that Pfc. Justin Shults, 21, was shocked Oct. 18 on metal steps attached to a shower trailer, the Army said in a statement. It said the shock was caused by an “improperly bonded electrical conduit pipe” on the ground.
electrical work done where troops live.‘ account generated attention because at least two soldiers have been electrocuted while showering in Iraq, and the military has faced criticism for the
In stories published earlier this week, Shults said he was knocked unconscious when he adjusted a wall heating and air conditioner unit while showering. Shults, who is in outpatient care at Fort Sam Houston in Texas, described to his limbs and groin.
Shults said he stands by his recollection of what happened. But he also acknowledges, given the amount of time that has passed and the fact that he was unconscious, that he could’ve been confused about where he was when he was shocked. He said it’s been difficult to get answers about the incident.
“I would like to know what happened, and if anyone was responsible, who it was,” Shults said Thursday.
The Army statement said Shults’ injuries were “tragic.” It says he was shocked when he tripped on the stairs and came in contact with the pipe, which was used to protect the electrical cable inside.
The statement says the pipe and wire were part of existing Iraqi infrastructure, and that the shower trailer was not maintained by military contractor. Shults had said he blamed KBR for what happened, and that he’d talked to some KBR workers as they installed the shower trailer a few months before he was burned.
On Monday, an Army spokesman did not respond to questions about the incident.
After the incident was first reported Monday by the San Antonio Express-News, Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., called Shults, who is from Hamburg, Pa., and mentioned the incident on Tuesday during a press conference on electrocutions in Iraq.